Saturday 7 August 2010

16th July 2010 - Culmington, Ludlow to Whitchurch

Oh, what a night.  The tent was completely washed out.  Luckily, the campsite had an old static caravan that they rented out, so we all piled in there for the night.  The 'Skanky Caravan', as it was christened, had certainly seen better days, however, it was dry.

Today, we were meeting my mum, Sarah, Erin, Nan and Grandad at Whitchurch for lunch. I would then get another 20 or so miles in to make tomorrow a little shorter, tomorrow was going to be 100+ miles.  It was only about 45 miles to Whitchurch, so a fairly easy run.  Wrong.  Cue a torrential downpour that would last most of those 45 miles.  I was basically cycling in  river at the side of the road with the spray of the passing vehicles drenching me.  Fortunately, the wind had died down a bit. I had to stop at one point as I just couldn't see and I was cycling on busy roads, at one point I was on the A5 dual carriageway, that was a bit scary.  The rain stopped about five miles from Whitchurch.

It was great to see everyone. It really picked up my spirits.  The barmaid asked the chef to stay late to make us all lunch.


After lunch, I really didn't want to get back on the bike so I decided to have the evening off.  I was still wet from earlier and needed to dry out.

No camping tonight.  Shona (Carol's sister) had managed to get us the last room at the B&B at the campsite.  The campsite was actually a farm and there were lots of animals, which the kids loved.  Katy had another animal noise to amuse herself with, after the mooing cow, the baaing sheep, we now had an eeyoring donkey. Simple things and all that!

Song for Today: Travis - Why Does It Always Rain on Me

No comments:

Post a Comment