Tuesday 10 August 2010

23rd July 2010 - Blair Atholl to Daviot, Inverness

We struggled to find accommodation in Inverness as the Highland Games are taking place this weekend. Carol managed to find a B&B just south of Inverness on the A9 so that is today's destination.  My mum, Sarah, Brian and Erin have decided to come up to Inverness to cheer me on and they are staying at the same B&B.

I start nice and early after a hearty breakfast surrounded by stuffed animals, waved off by Carol, Katy, Scott, Lisa and the girls.  They are going to spend the day at the Falls of Bruar.  Today's route is to follow NCN7 mostly up the side of the A9. A fair bit is cycle track, but it is fairly rough.  I wouldn't like to do it on a road bike with 23mm tyres that's for sure.  I much prefer the quiet B roads.  I stopped at the tea room in Dalwhinnie for a coffee I couldn't drink it was so bad, luckily the chocolate cake was much better. £6.85 for a coffee, a slice of chocolate cake and a smallish scone.  Wish I hadn't bothered.

Pressing on, I follow the road up to Aviemore. There seems to be two sets of signs for the NCN7.  One for off road and the other on road.  I must have read the sign wrongly because the next batch of miles, virtually all the way to Carrbridge, were off-road :-)  Very bumpy.  I met Carol,Katy and the girls in Carrbridge for a refuel.  Next stop is Torguish House. After 82 miles, I arrive at the bed and breakfast with a great day's cycling under my belt.

The B&B is certainly the most bizarre we have stayed in.  The owners are very friendly and very helpful.  My mum, Sarah, Brian and Erin arrive a little while later.  Sarah and Brian are in the honeymoon suite, very nice.  Mum treats us to dinner in the Culloden Moor Inn after a recommendation by the owners of the B&B. They serve possibly the biggest portions I have ever seen, one meal could feed a small army for a week. We all struggle to finish and I don't think anyone has a sweet.

Song for Today: Belle and Sebastian - Another Sunny Day

No comments:

Post a Comment